Sunday, June 8, 2008

Wii Fit: First Impressions (Strength Training)

I was very excited about the strength training.
I've never been motivated to do strength training in the past. Perhaps Nintendo could motivate me.

5 activities were initially available. (probably because I unlocked it during yoga)

1. Single-leg extensions
They were easy enough. I didn't feel that much resistance though.

2. Push-ups and side plank
I was impressed with this exercise.
It recognized when I did the movements, which is important.
Also, I could see myself being motivated to do this again.
And I was actually getting into a sweat.

3. Torso Twist
Another simple exercise that doesn't have as much to do with strength as it does with balance.

4. Jackknife
This is a variation on a sit-up.
When I watched the demo, I realized that you can totally cheat on this exercise and it would think you're doing it.
You basically lie beside the balance board and place your feet on it.
To the time of the whistle, you lift your feet and do the sit-up variation.
I did them for real, and obviously I could feel my abs working.
However, if you can't get over the fact that the board has very limited use in this exercise, you'll cheat, or at the very least you won't be motivated to do it again.

5. Lunge
Great exercise.
I felt the burn with this activity.
I could see myself being motivated to do this again.

Conclusions:
You can definitely get a good workout with some of these exercises (pushups, jackknife, and lunges), as long as you can motivate yourself to do it, and NOT cheat.

Next up: Aerobics

No comments: